TIPS FOR YOUR ENGAGEMENT PHOTOS
BEFORE THE SESSION:
Pick your location(s). We can go anywhere in the greater Kansas City area, including my studio in downtown Blue Springs. We can also travel beyond the metro area for a minimal fee. During a two-hour session (which is the typical session length for engagements), we can visit one or two locations. If there is a location that is special to you and your fiancée, it may be a great place to shoot your engagement photos. I can also recommend locations for your session if you would like. I recommend starting the session about two hours before sunset for the best natural light. I also prefer to shoot in the shade to keep you in soft, won’t-make-you-squint-and-glare kind of light.
Throughout the session, I will guide you both a little bit, let you relax and talk to each other a little bit, and get a mix of posed and candid photos (some serious, some with smiles). My goal is to capture who you are as a couple and have a great time with you in the process!
Clothing and Accessories:
- Feel free to bring an additional complete outfit if you would like to change at some point during the session. Adding accessories to outfits (jewelry, scarves, jackets, etc.) is another option for an easy way to change the look of your photos without having to change outfits.
- Avoid large or “loud” patterns. Please do not wear clothing that have words or images printed on them, as they can be distracting. Smaller patterns and solid colors are great options!
- Choosing coordinating colors (same color palette) and styles (casual or formal) for both of you is recommended. It’s not recommended to have both of you wear the exact same color. Here are some examples of past clients whose wardrobe worked nicely together.
- Blues, purples, and neutral tones (black, white, gray) are usually the best options for any environment. It's usually best to avoid reds/yellows, or any shade that will blend into the background or is similar to your skin tone.
- If you or your fiancée normally wear glasses, consider wearing contacts with the frames and having an optician remove the lenses from the glasses for the session to avoid reflections from flashes. Please avoid Transitions lenses for outdoor photos.
- If you have cool chairs or stools around the house that compliment your clothing choices, feel free to bring those (or any other props you may want to use).
- Make sure your pockets are empty (phones, keys, wallets, etc.) before the session begins.
- Women: Apply makeup as you normally would (and bring it with you during the session if you may need to reapply). Just don’t go overboard! You may also consider hiring a makeup artist (I have several I love to work with) for your session. Call me for pricing.
- If you tend to have oily skin, oil-blotting paper or powder is recommended. Yes, even for the men!
- Men: shave or trim facial hair. A fresh haircut is great as well.
- Visiting the tanning booth before pictures is not generally recommended.
- Your hands and fingernails will appear in the photos! Trim and polish nails as necessary.
- Don’t be afraid to tell me if you don’t like the pose I request or location we’re in.
AFTER THE SESSION:
I will post a sneak peek on Facebook a few days after our session. Please let me know if you would prefer that I don’t do so!
And please tell your friends about your session! Each time you refer a new client to me (for any type of session), you and your friend will both receive a gift: session discounts, free prints, or a gift card! The more friends you refer, the more you will receive. Ask me about current referral bonuses!