TIPS FOR YOUR SENIOR PHOTOS
BEFORE THE SESSION:
Pick your location(s). We can go anywhere in the greater Kansas City area, including my studio in downtown Blue Springs. We can also travel beyond the metro area for a minimal fee. During a two-hour session, we can visit one or two locations. During a four-hour session, we can visit three or four locations. I can also recommend locations for your session if you would like, but this session is all about YOU and what YOU like! I recommend starting the session about two or four hours before sunset (depending on your session length) for the best natural light. I also prefer to shoot in the shade to keep you in soft, won’t-make-you-squint-and-glare kind of light.
Decide what you like in terms of poses and styles. Although I will guide you in your poses and suggest different things to do during our session, if you prefer more traditional or more unique styles, let me know before we start shooting. I will shoot a variety of posed and candid shots, as well as a mix of serious and smiling shots.
- Bring about 3 to 5 complete outfits, ranging from casual to semiformal, and accessories for those outfits (jewelry, shoes, socks, etc.).
- Jackets and scarves are recommended as quick add-ons to outfits for a variety of looks.
- Blues, purples, greens, and neutral tones (black, white, gray) are usually the best options for any environment. Generally, it’s best to avoid reds/yellows, or any shade that looks too similar to your skin tone.
- Words printed on clothing (as well as large designs and loud patterns) tend to be distracting, so I generally recommend solid colors or small patterns in clothing.
- Don’t forget your class ring if you have one and want to include it in the photos.
- If you are involved in sports, music, or other activities, feel free to bring items that relate to those activities (athletic equipment, musical instruments, letter jackets, etc.).
- If you normally wear glasses, consider wearing contacts with your frames and have an optician remove the lenses from your glasses for the session. Avoid Transitions lenses for outdoor photos.
- If you have cool chairs/stools you would like to use, feel free to bring those for outdoor shots.
- Be prepared to smile! And be prepared to show a serious side (no smile) as well.
- Empty your pockets (phone, keys, wallets, etc.) before the session begins.
- Apply makeup as you normally would (and bring it with you during the session if you may need to reapply). Just don’t go overboard! You may also consider hiring a makeup artist (I have several I work with) for your session. Call me for pricing.
- If you tend to have oily skin, oil-blotting paper or powder is recommended. Yes, even for men!
- Men: shave or trim facial hair.
- Visiting the tanning booth before pictures is not generally recommended.
- Your hands and fingernails will appear in the photos! Trim and polish nails as necessary.
- Don’t be afraid to tell me if you don’t like the pose I request or location we’re in. I won’t waste your time on a photo you won’t want.
- Bring a friend with you if you’d like! Having a friend along will most likely help you relax and be yourself.
- A parent/guardian is required to accompany subjects under 18 years of age.
AFTER THE SESSION:
Tell your friends about your session! Each time you refer a new client to me (for any type of session), you and your friend will both receive a gift: session discounts, free prints, or a gift card for Starbucks or QuikTrip! The more friends you refer, the more you will receive. Ask me about current referral bonuses!